If your body is unable to produce insulin or has a low sensitivity to insulin, the condition is called diabetes. Insulin is important because it is responsible for cells to absorb sugar from the blood. This is where you’d get your energy from.
Diabetes is when your body is not able to absorb sugar and this sugar remains in your blood. When this happens for a prolonged time, it causes damage to many areas. One of these areas is the feet. If left untreated, it could also lead to amputation.
Two of the common problems caused by diabetes on your foot are:
1. Diabetic Neuropathy- If your diabetes is uncontrolled, it can lead to nerve damage. When there’s nerve damage in your legs and feet, you cannot feel any sensation- heat or cold. The lack of feeling in your foot due to damaged nerves is called sensory diabetic neuropathy. You wouldn’t feel any cuts or injuries in your foot and it could worsen and get infected. The muscles might not function properly, causing a lot of pressure only on one part of your foot.
2. Peripheral Vascular Disease- Having diabetes can affect your blood flow. If you have a cut or sores, without the blood flow, it takes longer to heal. This also increases the risk of developing ulcers and gangrene. This poor blood flow is called peripheral vascular disease.
Things you should do to take care of your feet :
Wear shoes that fit properly.
Avoid applying heat to your feet.
Don’t walk around barefoot.
Any sensation and circulation in your feet are not normal.
Don’t let calluses or corns develop.
Avoid moisture and sweat to develop.
Don’t use irritative or strong medication on your feet.
Don’t soak your feet in the water too long.
Keep a check on your blood sugar level.
What should you do if you discover a problem with your foot and if you have diabetes?
1. Clean the wound with a diluted solution of Dettol or savlon.
2. Cover the wound with a sterile gauze/cotton.
3. Make sure to keep your foot dry, cover it with a plastic bag if necessary.
4. Get in touch with your doctor immediately.
Horizon’s Diabetic Foot Clinic is equipped with highly skilled experts and state-of-the-art equipment. We are ready to treat any conditions and ensure that you get the best care possible.